Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Second Chances!

It is much more exciting to write a blog entry when you have good news to proclaim! We just received the results of the bone marrow biopsy and there is NO leukemia in her body. Praise the Lord! And to add to the good news, my mom's body has totally engrafted to the transplant ... meaning that the new and improved bone marrow (a.k.a. Aunt Cindy) is producing healthy marrow on its own. Can I get a Hallelujah?!??!?!?! Hallelujah! :)

The doctors told her that on day 60 she would be able to eat out at restaurants and could leave town for short periods of time (before day 60 she wasn't allowed to be more than 30 minutes away from the hospital). So, what did she do? As soon as she turned 60 days old we celebrated by going out to dinner, and then she left me in the dust and took off for the coast! ;) She is currently at the beach with my dad and enjoying every second of this new hope.

And now to get technical for those who like the medical explanation of things... The doctors look at both the lymphoid line (lymphocytes) as well as the mycloid line (neutraphils) when assessing what percentage of the donor is in my mom. She is 100% donor in the mycloid line (which supposedly is the most important because the neutraphils are what fight infection), and she is 46% donor in the lymphoid line (immune function). As long as the neutraphils are 100% donor the lymphocyte percentage will only increase. That's the best explanation I can give - forgive me if this is unclear. If it is, then just disregard this paragraph and walk away knowing that my mom is in REMISSION and FREE FROM LEUKEMIA at this point in time. ;)

It seems unfair that not everyone gets second chances. The reality is that we all (most likely) have one shot at this crazy thing we call life ... and doesn't that make you want to live and love fiercely?! It does for me...

"What's next?", you might ask. Well, she only has to go to clinic at OHSU once a week from here on out until her next bone marrow biopsy on Day 84 (today is day 63). So, until I know more, expect that no news is good news!

Thank you for praying and rejoicing with us through this crazy journey - I hope you are all more than well!

XOXO

9 comments:

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Praise God!! Absolutely WONDERFUL news!! And Lindsay, thanks for doing such a great job posting on here, even though it wasn't always easy. Many many more blessings on your lovely family.
Annie & family

Anonymous said...

Dear Pam and Family,
I was thrilled to get the good news and feel better myself right now than I've felt in months-- due to such a sense of relief.

Let us know when you're up for company. However, even though everyone can't wait to give you a hug, we've got to respect what you've just been through and spread out our visits--and hugs.

Thanks again, Lindsay, for keeping us in the loop.

Grinning from ear to ear--
Love,
Denie

*corinne said...

That is more than wonderful news, Lindsay. I'm so happy for your family. Lots of love to you...

~Corinne

Anonymous said...

Hooray Lord! I feel like jumping up and down!!! What wonderful news. I am so glad you get to spend sometime at the beach...fresh air, away from the usual, time with Ron. God has been faithful to answer prayers! I just know you are enjoying EVERY minute, Pam! Hugs and love to you!

Lindsay, thanks again for being such a good reporter and such a loving daughter. You are an inspiration! I send my love to all of you Bealls and continue to cover you in prayers!

Praising an awesome God!
Caron

Kathy said...

Yeah, I'll give you one! "Hallelujah" is right! Good for her in heading to the coast. She seems to be one that loves life... guess that is where your amazing spirit comes from, Lindsay. God bless your mom and the whole fam - such wonderful news!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord. We have been praying for you or as my kids call you, "the Wee Sing lady." Congrats on your new lease on life!
Thanks for all your well writen and uplifting updates.
Love,
Kasie (Scales) Pranghofer and family

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Beall!

I am so happy to hear the news! Praise the Lord!!! Time to live it up!...catch up for the months in that hospital bed! :) I can't imagine how going through an experience like that must change your outlook on life...you must feel SO REFRESHED!

David Anderson

Anonymous said...

Dear Bealls-
What wonderful news - could not be happier for all of you and the
the wonderful circle of friends that are THANKFUL and delighted to get this news!
love,
Jean & Chuck

Unknown said...

/WOW!Good News! The best news. And, I'm glad both ofyou could get to the beach That's a big ocean and it seems to swallow so many of our cares. By the way, I just read that bestseller, The Shack, and I know you would enjoy it. I'm pretty picky about books too. God bless you, He certainly has and I will look forward to hearing from you one of these days. gingerbcotktt