Thursday, March 13, 2008

And the winner is....

Yes, that's right folks, my dear sweet Aunt Cindy (pammy sue's youngest sister) is a donor match with my mom's bone marrow! Thank the Lord! Sorry Uncle Larry, looks like you're not the giver of life this time around. ;) The doctors were thrilled to share that news with us yesterday. If neither one of my aunt or uncle were a match they would have to go out to the general public to try to find a match ... and who knows how long that would take.

DOCTOR REPORT:
- They did an ultrasound yesterday and found NO abnormalities in the direction of her blood flow (which is what they were hoping for).
- Her bilirubin count is still creeping up (though at a much slower pace). It is currently at 16.5. The doctors don't seem to be too terribly concerned about this; however, they are at a stand still until it deescalates. They are monitoring her closely and hope that her bilirubins will plateau and start dropping very soon..
- Her white count is at 0.8 which is still severely low and her red blood cells are at 27.2. Her platelet counts are improving slowly at 42. I'm sure these numbers don't make much sense without you knowing what they need to be at. Well, in order for them to proceed with the bone marrow transplant, mom's white cell counts need to be at 15 (currently at 0.8) and her platelet counts need to be at 100 (now at 42). So, it could take awhile for these numbers to get to the desired goal....but we are hopeful and confident that they will.
- The good news is that they have an action plan all ready to roll for when my mom's counts recover. The doctors seemed hopeful but frustrated that they're having too wait. But what can you do?

Mom has been such a trooper. One of the Physician's Assistants came in the other night and encouraged her that she needs to prepare her mind and spirit because she still has a long haul ahead. So, keep those prayers and encouraging words flowing - it is at this point where despair and depression seem to hit patients. But thankfully we have something bigger to hope for, right? Our God is the Ultimate Healer and the lifter of our heads.

A quick little story: when my mom called Aunt Cindy to tell her about the bone marrow results we put her on speaker phone. In my mom's soft and weary voice she said slowly, "Well Cin, looks like you won the lottery." My precious Aunt started crying immediately and responded, "What a joy! I am so very blessed and honored! " Her response was so beautiful - don't know that many people who would respond with such joy after hearing that they have to donate their bone marrow. You are one of a kind, Aunt Cindy! My mom ended the conversation by saying, "Well, I guess it paid off being so nice to you all these years." ;) Even in her sickness she is still a wiry little thing, that's for sure.

Will send you more info. as soon as we know.... In the meantime, keep praying for her counts to recover. Thank you again for everything you have done for my sweet ma and for our family.

Lovingly,
Lindsay

20 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad Cindy is going to be the one to help her. Beall, email me! xo

Anonymous said...

Dear Lindsay- Give your wonderful mom our love and tell her not a day goes by w/o prayers for her healing and strength.
If there is any thing that we can do to help all of you out in any way - please let us know. I hate to be so vague about offers of help- but I really don't know what
you might need.
Love,
Jean

Anonymous said...

Hi Pammy and Beall Family,
God says in His book of Psalms:
When Pammy and Family dwells in the shelter of the Most High they will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. They will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.
He will cover us with HIS feathers, and under His wings I will find refuge."

May you all continue to find His strength. So happy to hear that you have your perfect match in Cindy. You are all so blessed to have eachother and you all have been such an example to us.
Much Love and Hugs,
Patti

Anonymous said...

Hi girlfriend,
What fabulous news about Cindy. So great to have her as a donor instead of going to the "bank." Answered prayer is certainly making a difference in your life and all of the rest of us. Can't think of too many moments during the day that you're not on my mind or in my prayers.

You're surrounded by such a wonderful staff and family. Good to see that you still have a sense of humor. That's one of many reasons we all love you so much.

Hugs, Janet

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see an update! Thanks Lindsay for taking the time to give such details so we know how to specifically pray. I will be praying that all the numbers go up for the blood counts and down for the billirubun! (sp?) I also will pray for protection from depression and despair as the days go by.

Hooray for Cindy's sweet response to being the donor! The Lord takes care of all the details, doesn't He? I am sure that means so much to both of you and your families. Thank God for our families and what a precious gift they are in good times and hard times!

I have been reading Psalms and it makes me think of you so much. You surely cry out to the Lord and yet you know in your heart that He is your protector, savior, provider of your needs, refuge and your joy! God bless you today and know that you are so loved!
Caron

Katie McCollam said...

LSB, I love your updates and check your mom's page often. You and your family are in my mind always, and I will send all kinds of healthy vibes your mom's way.

Love you, lady!
Katie

Anonymous said...

Once again, thank you, Lindsay, for keeping your mom's fan club informed. I'm not surprised by Cindy's reaction to being chosen as Pam's donor--the Conn clan are pretty special, as are the Bealls.

We all wish we could do more, so please don't hesitate if there is something you need in addition to our prayers. Stay strong, dear Pam, and wrap yourself in the abundance of love we send your way.

Love,
Denie

Beth Wirth said...

Hang in there Pammy and Cindy! I will be praying for both of you! Lots of love to you, Bealls!
-Beth

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lindsay for the update and for sharing the good news re the match with Cindy. Pam, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers always. I miss our dinners but look forward to a time to catch up in the future. Take care, mn

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see an update and to see such exciting news about Cindy's compatibility. What a blessing. Now, Pam, onmward to getting stronger and those numbers coming into sync. What a journey you and your family have been and continue to be on! This is the part of the story you tell when you're imparting the victory!! I know you feel the hope and strength of all those that are praying and loving you so much. The other day two of my my daughters got the giggles which resulted in uncontrollable laughter until they had tears. It reminded me of the time we were in the choir at the Presbyterian Church and that man was falling asleep. Remember how we "lost it"? And in front of the whole congregation! Hang in there, Pam. We have lots of laughing yet to do! Love you... -marianne

Anonymous said...

Lindsay- Thank you so much for the update on your Aunt Cindy being a donor match. I attend the Bible study that Cindy leads and know that she is a very special lady.

Your family has often been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. May the Lord touch all of you with His peace, love, and joy. He holds each one of you in His loving hands.
Love in Christ,
Kim Deskins

PHYL SILLERS said...

My Dear Pam,

We were so glad to get the update from Lindsay... now we know how we can specifically pray.

You are one tough cookie and we're back here in Atlanta cheering you on. We ask God every day to put His protective arms around you and give you peace, comfort and love. Stay strong as you travel down the road to victory!

We love you, Pam!

With abounding love and hope,

Phyl and Coby

Joe said...

Hi Pam,

Cousin Joe in Huntington Beach checking in...I was going through our family photos this afternoon and by coincidence I came across a number of early family shots of the Conn's. I even have a photo of the architect's concept drawing of your folks home in Klamath Falls ....I have no idea how we ended up with that one!...I'll send them up to you...they're great shots..I think you and your family will enjoy them!
We were up in the mountains last summer and got Meghan up on water ski's for the 1st time....I will never forget my first time when your Dad and Larry took Lynn and me to Klamath Lake for our first lesson...1965 and I couldn't believe I had such a cute cousin..I stuttered every time I tried to talk to you ..ha. Our thoughts and prays are with you and your family....Love, the Dale's

Anonymous said...

Good morning Pam & Family,

What a huge blessing that Cindy will be the bone marrow donor. A beautiful answer to prayer. I agree with you Lindsay that your Aunt Cindy is one of a kind. I attend Calvary Chapel with her and attend the women's bible study that she leads and she is such a huge blessing to us as well. Will pray that all your counts come up Pam so you are able to get the bone marrow transplant going asap. Keep smiling and keep your eyes on HIM. Thank you so much for keeping the update going. It is incredible to see all the answers to prayers when you post things. You and all your family are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Pam and family,
Keep that positive attitude going. It's really strong medicine in itself. We think of you daily.
Penny C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
Just checking in to let you know you are in my prayers.
Sue R.

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! May the luck of the Irish be with you today! I always loved this day because it was a big celebration for my family. I have such good memories of my dad doing the jig and my grandpa playing the fiddle. It is a fun day! I think any excuse to celebrate life is great!

I hope this finds your body healing and that you're in good spirits. I continually pray for you. Give that sweet Lindsay a hug. She is an amazing lady! I hope you have a good day tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam and Lindsay,
I just read and cried my way through your entire blog. Pam, what an awesome group of family and friends you have! The number of prayers lifted on your behalf are huge.
Lindsay, I know why Lisa and Chasen love you so much. I do too.
I have prayed off and on for all of you, but after reading tonight, I know I will be more diligent. God has already answered in soooo many ways. What a testimony your lives are! This blog is a great record of God's faithfulness and care.

I wanted to mention that my daughter's friend is running in a Rock and Roll Marathon on June 1. It is a fund raiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She is running for some of the children she works with at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital (Standford). The cool thing is, she is running for Pam Beall too!! Yep, I sponsored her and was able to add your name. She will be wearing a bracelet with your name on it on race day. You're becoming famous!!
Love and prayers, Carole
PS This is Clive's verse from his trial (and victory) with cancer.
"I have set the Lord always before me; because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved." Ps 16:8

Anonymous said...

Sweeet Pam --

We just returned from a trip, and I was so thrilled to read Lindsay's update! How wonderful that Cindy is a match. You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly, as you are in so many other people's as well. We will be babysitting for our granddaughters in Portland in April, so I'll be in touch and hope to be able to visit you wherever you are at that point. Keep up the good work of preparing yourself for the transplant!

Much love, Judy Lininger

Anonymous said...

Dear Bealls,

Prayers are still being lifted for you in Texas and we are thrilled all your counts are going up! What a blessing to have a perfect match with your sister.

Thoughts and prayers of you daily,

Susan VB