Sunday, April 27, 2008

Resting Up...

Dearest friends & familia,

Forgive me for not posting an update sooner! Mama Pamela is still at home and enjoying every moment. She has to take daily "field trips" to OHSU to get blood work done as well as to receive blood and/or platelet transfusions if needed. Lately they have been needed because her body started reaping the effects of her second round of chemo. She has had to receive numerous platelet transfusions because her counts plummeted all the way to ONE.

If only I could get permission to post a pic of my darling mother now, you would be in for a treat. We all know that she is gorgeous, that's obvious, but have you ever seen sweet Pammy Sue with a couple nice shiners?? Her low platelet count caused her eyes to swell up and turn black and blue. My faithful father must gets some scowls from strangers as they pass by, I am sure. Needless to say, she's rockin' some cute shades until this passes. As soon as I'm able to see her, I will snap a pic of her cute wig (as previously promised) and shades for your visual pleasure.

It's been a rough couple weeks as I haven't been able to see mom due to myself being under the weather. A week ago I got diagnosed with shingles and mono. You may ask, "Aren't shingles something adults over 50 get?" Well, you are right, my friends. I defy the odds at the ripe age of 26. At least it was comforting that my doctor told me sometimes shingles in young adults like myself either means I have Multiple Sclerosis or am HIV Positive. Hmmm....comforting. Thanks doc. I never thought I would be so thankful & relieved to receive a mono diagnosis (and by the way, my shingles are a VERY minor case....nothing like the horrid pictures I saw on web MD!). The doctor said that if my mom were to catch either one of my viruses it could kill her (due to her practically non-existent white blood counts). So, needless to say, I have been steering clear from my little comrade. It's been hard!

What's next? Well, mom will continue to visit OHSU for testings until the end of May when they are scheduling her bone marrow transplant. Will inform you as soon as we know the exact date. Until then, she will stay at home as long as she is feeling well. I'm sure she would love to hear from you! She is able to have visitors ... as long as you are healthy and well!

Love to you all!

Lindsay

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear, dear Lindsey! Wow, what a couple weeks you have had! Can I help in any way...bring you some home cooked food??? Just to let you know, I had a kindergartner that had shingles, not chicken pox. I was shocked to hear it in such a young child and then you such a young thing! I will pray for your continued healing and strength as you continue on this journey with your mom. Wow!

Pamela Sue- I continue to pray for you! I am sure being home is wonderful compared to being in the hospital. I hope you enjoyed the nice weekend and the beauty of all the spring flowers and fresh new leaves on trees. Sending lots of love to you and your family!
Love,
Caron

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam and Lindsey,
Lindsey, I am so sorry you have shingles and mono, but so thankful you don't have MS. Is there anything we can do for you? I really mean it - just call me. Thanks for the update and you take care and don't push it. You are such a wonderful daughter!!
Pam, it makes me so happy that you are home and get to be there another month. I pray for you and your family all the time and know God is taking care of all of you. I want to come by and visit when I feel 100% well.
Sending a hug,
Barb

Beth Wirth said...

Oh Beall!!
I can't believe it! Shingles?! Mono?! Ick. Well, maybe I can believe it, you have been working really hard in so many ways. You are an amazing daughter, friend, and the list goes on and on. Don't forget to take as good care of yourself as you have been your Mom!

Pam--We are praying for you often!

Love,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Pam and Lindsey,

Wow! Mono AND shingles. When Fred and I got or shingles vaccines, it never occured to us to have the boys vaccinated too. Guess we need to rethink that one. I'm sorry you've gotten sick, Lindsey, just when you want to spend quality time with your mom. She and I keep up to date via the phone. Now I'll be praying for both of you for full recoveries.
Hugs, Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam & Lindsay,

How frustrating to have shingles and mono. As if one isnt bad but both at the same time is terrible.I am sure all the stress you have been under with your mom being so sick has gotten to your immune system too. Praise God you don't have MS!! You both were in my thoughts and prayers as we took a cruise to the Caribbean. I wasnt going to share that cuz I didnt want you longing to be somewhere nice and WARM instead of being stuck in the hospital, but after sharing it with Cindy at bible study today, she said I should share it with you. I am so glad Pam that you are able to be home resting until your transplant. What a huge answer to prayer. Cant wait to see a picture with your cool shades and beautiful wig. More than anything, cant wait until you are well enough to come to Calvary so we can all hug and love on you in person.

Blessings,
Debi

Shana said...

Oh Lindsay...so sorry to hear about your shingles and mono. I know how it feels to have mono, I just got it this last fall. But to have shingles too...ugh, I hope you feel better soon and are able to be with your mom soon. I know she misses seeing your beautiful face.

Pam, I am so thankful that you continue to be able to stay at your home. I know growing up I loved spending time there, so I can imagine what it must feel like to wake up in your own bed. I will continue to pray that your levels continue to improve and the road to your COMPLETE healing is quick.Love and blessings to you.

love,
Shana Jabusch

Unknown said...

Shingles and mono!!!!!! When it rains, it pours. Take good care of yourself kiddo, I hope you get better soon. You know what they say about mono, you need to stop with all the kissing, hehe. It was good to see you guys when I was up a few weeks ago. Hope to see you again soon.

Love, Randy

Anonymous said...

Pam, I just read your blog for the first time. My, you have been busy counting blood cells and platelets!May be soon you will be counting "plates" for a celebration dinner of your recovery. I am praying for you and want to send you all the encouraging words that you need. Keep resting up, and may
God keep you resting in his hands.
Dee von Tagen

Anonymous said...

Pam, I am healthy and can deliver a meal anytime or would just love to call you. You are in my prayers. I am grateful to be able to get updates and will pray for the whole family.
ginger

Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Darlene and I was diagnosed with AML in Dec of 2006. My mom sent me this blog and apparetnly knows a family member of yours. I had a bone marrow transplant at OHSU in April 2007. So I am out one year and would like to be available if you would like to talk about my journey at all. I also have a caring bridge website that tells the whole story. It's www.caringbridge.com and then all in one word lower case type: darlenecarlson. My phone # is 503 439 0920. I live in Portland. I'm very excited to be alive and I'm feeling great. Give me a call if you want to.
Darlene Carlson

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey! I came across your mono & shingles post!

I got mono at 19 years old! It not for old people. It's most likely to be reported by the elderly. And it is under reported by young people! Research currently shows both young and old get it evenly!

As for mono about 50% of 5 and under children in North America! And 80% of people in North America by I believe 30 years old will get!

-Janelle Deunamuno

P.s. I got them 6 months apart! I'm sorry you have them together!