Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 7

Hello All!

My sincere apologies for not updating this blog more frequently. I know that many of you check it on a daily basis hoping to receive news about the sweet Pammy Sue. So, forgive me - I will be more diligent in keeping you all up to speed.

So, my mom is in her 7th day at OHSU and she is just now starting her 6th day of chemo. Her chemo doses are fed to her through her "pick line" 24 hours a day. The nurses have grown fond of her and are amazed at how much life she brings into this wing of the hospital. Two days ago I was coming down the hallway on my way to visit her and I heard her roaring laugh (roaring in a pleasant, feminine way, mom). ;) I told the nurses that they should sound proof her room because she is too cheerful and has far too many visitors. :) Needless to say, she has brought much joy and life to the Oncology Unit here at OHSU.

The first 4 days were a breeze for her. She kept saying that she felt like she was on vacation....taking naps, watching movies, having constant friends and family around, getting served, and she even has a constant companion that she gets to roll around with her wherever she goes (her IV rack). So, she is never alone.

This place is slowly becoming our family's home away from home. And yes, I admit, I have been caught by the nurses a few times cuddling in bed (twin size, might I add) with my mom watching Anne of Green Gables.

Yesterday was her worst day. Nausea is setting in. She didn't have much of an appetite at all and she slept for most of the day. It's hard watching her body reap the consequences of this chemo. But her spirits remain high and her faith strong.

As far as medical information goes, we are still waiting to find out test results which will tell us if her leukemia is low-risk, medium-risk or high-risk. In the meantime, I guess we just wait and see how her body responds to this treatment. Her results from the Mugascan (heart test) were excellent - telling us that her heart is stronger than normal.... I think we all knew that already though.

She has so loved all of your notes of encouragement, telling of stories & memories, phone calls & visits. Please keep them coming and NEVER feel like you are burdening her. The hardest times for her are on the horizon so the more support the better!

My mother is forcing me to write another little tuturial to you Baby Boomers (most likely) regarding how to navigate this blog. To write your own and/or read other people's comments, go to the comment link under any of the entries. In order to send a comment it asks you to "Choose an Identity". Click the "Name/URL" button and just type in your name (leave the URL section blank). Or else you can click "Anonymous". Either way works. Make sure you fill in the word verification as well (just copy the characters that you see in the picture above). Anyway, it sounds confusing but it really is fairly simple. If you are still having problems please feel free to email me at lindsay.beall@gmail.com and I can walk you through it.

Much love and thanks from Pam and the Beall gang!

15 comments:

matt and whitney said...

Hello, Pam and Linds! This is Whitney Harvey (one of Court's bridesmaids) and I just wanted to let you know that my husband Matt and I are praying for you diligently from San Diego. Pam, you probably don't remember meeting me (it's okay, it was a busy couple of days to say the least :) but I wanted to say that I think the world of your family. Sean and Linsday are fabulous human beings and it was great to meet the rest of the Beall fam at the wedding. Your strength and faith as you begin this unexpected journey is inspiring. You hang in there! Our Creator is faithful to those who love Him!! Much love to your family. Whitney

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam! I thought I'd drop you a line, the first of many, to let you know that you are loved and prayed for. My family is praying and believing for complete healing. My kiddos know you as the Wee Sing Lady that is Grandma D's good friend and pray for you as such. It is precious. My Young Marrieds Group is also lifting you up daily. I have no doubt that you are impacting those around you for Christ, you do everywhere you go. May this journey become part of your testimony to be given for years to come. I love you and your family!
Kasie (Scales) Pranghofer and Kelly, Kayden and Kyla

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam- so glad to have a place to leave you notes! We just got back from our trip tonight and I wanted to just take a moment and let you know that we have had you in our prayers every single day - will are looking forward to coming up to see you - but will check first to be sure you are up for visitors - take real good care and know that you are loved and surrounded by much prayer and good good thoughts - God Bless -Jean & Chuck

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam --

I'm so relieved to find an update from Lindsay today! My friend and I arrived at her condo in La Quinta on Sunday, and I've been watching daily for news on the blog. I can picture you laughing and raising the spirits of everyone around you during the last few days. I hope your nausea can be taken care of so you're soon feeling better. You're in my thoughts and prayers constantly, and I'll continue to watch the blog for updates.

My love to you,

Judy

Cindy said...

Thank you Linds for the update. Even tho I got to talk to you yesterday Pam it helps to get more details, some that we hate to ask you about. Rose, Jens and I will be up tomorrow.
Loving You!
Cin

Anonymous said...

Pam, we love you so much and treasure you! We are praying for you and know that the Lord will make this short and for you to be healed quickly! We think of you every day! All our love,
Gully, Keith and the kidds!

Joy said...

Love you Momma Beall! Praying for you during this time. Did you get my present? Don't worry, if its too awkward you don't have to wear it. Just know it was done with love and a lot of guessing!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Pam, I don't know if you remember me I met you a few times at sip. I am Luca's mom Karen. i am friends with Hillary and Rag and miss lindsay...and I just want to say that I am thinking about you and sending you strength and love.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam and Beall Family,

This is my fourth attempt to get a note to you. I didn't have any problem before, so don't know what is going on.

Hi Pam and Beall Family,

For some unknown reason I have forgoten everything I have ever known about computer technology, specifically how to send a message on this blog, but I hope it's temporary--maybe just a senior moment. It was nice to read Lindsay's latest update, and to have her reinforce how to actually get a message to you. I wonder who is reading the last two I sent and where they are.

I can just hear your wonderful, contagious laughter, Pam. It's so you. I can see why you're a favorite of the nurses, as we all feel the same about you. I hope the nausea is easing and that you'll be filling the corridor with laughter again very soon. Know that I'm holding your hand all the way from Lakewood.

Love,
Denie

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Pam, etc.

Not thinking I'd actually get through, I didn't reread my previous message, half of which was copied and pasted from another attempt--thus my need to explain. Anyway, my ego is slightly inflated knowing that I can accomplish a few computer tasks that are no brainers to Lindsay's generation.

I really do hope you're feeling better, Pam. We're going to travel through Portland on our way to the beach, so we'll stop by if we get the okay from Ron.

Much love,
Denie
(I hope I'm on a roll and you receive this)

Jenna Rae said...

I can just imagine your sweet laughter brightening up that place! You are such joy and pure sunshine...i knew that right away when i met "lindsay sue's mama". I admire you and know you will bring so much joy and love to others through this hard time. praying for you...much love to you mama pam. jenna

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam -
Had to write and say you look so great - you are holding your own in spite of all the meds that are working their magic and havoc.

One other thought - you do have the greatest kids - of course they do have one terrific mom! I know they are a source of great joy - to you and many others!

Our prayers continue - and also our
thanks that you are doing so well!
Love,
Jean & Chuck

Anonymous said...

Hello Pam,
Just remember Omaha means "people up stream" and you are going upstream on AML.

TaKe wonderful care,
Love,Pat Conn

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lindsay for the "Baby Boomer" help. I also lost two notes but when I became anonymous, it worked. HA! I guess with this new info I can be me. All of us appreciate your updates!!!
Hi,Pam. Keep up the spirit and the laughing...at least some giggles. Know that we're all there for you and that constant prayers are being sent.
Love, Karen G

Anonymous said...

Dear Pam, I am so sorry to hear about your illness. Your strength and faith with your family's support no doubt will carry you through this difficult time. My prayers are with you all. Keep fighting!! Betty Walters